Box is an online cloud storage and collaboration tool.
All current students, staff, and faculty are eligible for a University of Utah Box account. Simply log in with your uNID and university password to activate your account.
Box is an online cloud storage and collaboration tool that provides users with the ability to easily store, access, and share files and folders anywhere on any device.
IMPORTANT — Free, secure University of Utah Box accounts are only available only to current students, staff, and faculty members. Your UBox account will expire 30 days after you are no longer eligible. More information is available in the UIT Knowledge Base.
Box accounts are provisioned upon your first login. To access your Box account:
- Go to box.utah.edu
- Select the "LOGIN" button near the top right side of the page
- Enter your uNID and CIS password on the login screen
Please review the university's Acceptable Use Policy/User Agreement (PDF) before you begin using Box.
With Box, you can:
- Upload, edit and store files
- Access files on any device at any time
- Share links to grant read-only access with internal (i.e., box.utah.edu) users
- Invite both internal and external users to Box folders as collaborators, and assign permission levels (viewer, editor, co-owner)
- Post comments and assign tasks
- Add additional email addresses
- 1 TB storage
- 50 GB file size limit
- Password-protected sharing
- Security controls
- Secure storage
- Box mobile access
- Version history
- Group-based access
- Third-party app integration
Storage of regulated information:
The Information Security Office has approved the use of the university's Box.com installation for storage of HIPAA and FERPA data, in accordance with relevant privacy laws and subject to appropriate usage as outlined in the University's Box Acceptable Use Policy (PDF).
User Guides and How-to Documentation
Free Online Courses
Note: You will need to sign in to Box before accessing these courses.
Access free Box online courses
- What kind of data can I store here?
- U of U information security policy: Rule 4-004C Data Classification and Encryption
Active University of Utah staff, faculty, emeriti, students, and University of Utah Health staff are eligible to use Box. Affiliate accounts are not eligible.
Your university Box account will be set up when you first log in with your uNID and password at https://box.utah.edu.
Box allows you to easily collaborate and exchange information with other University of Utah and University of Utah Health users in a secure and encrypted environment. Other cloud providers such as Dropbox or Google Drive cannot provide this level of security.
You will need to modify the account to use a non-University of Utah address. You can do this by following these directions:
- Log in to Box and select the "Gear" icon in the top right corner.
- Select "Account settings."
- In the section "Login information," select "Add more emails."
- Enter the non-University of Utah or non-University Health email address and save changes.
- Follow the steps in the confirmation messages sent to the address you provided, which will validate that the email address is operational.
- Go back into "Account settings" and hover over the address, selecting the option to make this address primary. Authenticate to save changes.
As a user of the university’s Box service, you are responsible for all data and content that you upload to the Box service or otherwise create using the Box service (collectively, “Data”). In addition, you agree to abide by the following rules in connection with your access to and/or use of the Box service:
- Box Help includes videos, best practices, and help documentation. Go to https://support.box.com/ to connect. To get up and running quickly, view the tutorial "5 Skills to Get Started."
- If you need technical assistance such as logging in, uploading content, or collaborating with others, consult your local IT support or contact the UIT Help Desk at 801-581-4000 or the ITS Service Desk at 801- 587-6000.
- Search University of Utah’s IT Knowledge Base for specific help documentation.
Due to storage caches, this may happen. Box can manually fix this for you.
If this happens, please open a case with Box directly.
To submit a case to Box:
- In your Box account, select Help from the drop-down menu under your name.
- Select Submit a Case from the right-hand side under Need Help?
- Follow the prompts to submit a case.
You are able to collaborate with people outside the University of Utah. External users must have a personal Box account to be added as collaborators.
External collaborators can follow these steps to create an account:
- Go to box.com
- Select Sign Up
- Sign up with your preferred email for collaborating
To add an external collaborator:
- Go to a folder
- Type in the email of the external collaborator
- Set the permission, and select Send