Box is an online cloud storage and collaboration tool that provides users with the ability to easily store, access and share files and folders anywhere on any device.
The University of Utah has partnered with Box to provide free enterprise Box accounts to all current students, staff and faculty.
IMPORTANT - University of Utah Box accounts are only available to those currently affiliated with the University. Only current students, staff, and faculty members are eligible for a UBox account. Your UBox account will expire 30 days after you are no longer eligible. See more information on the Knowledge Base.
Box accounts are provisioned upon your first login. To access your Box account:
- Go to box.utah.edu
- Click the large 'LOGIN' button near the top right side of the page
- Enter your uNID and CIS password on the login screen
Please review the University's Acceptable Use Policy/User Agreement (PDF) before you begin using Box.
With Box, you can:
- Upload, edit and store files
- Access files on any device at any time
- Share links to grant read-only access with internal (i.e. box.utah.edu) users
- Invite both internal and external users to box folders as collaborators and assign permission levels ranging from viewer to editor to co-owner
- Post comments and assign tasks
- Add additional email addresses
- 1 TB storage
- 15 GB file size limit
- Password-protected sharing
- Security controls
- Secure storage
- Box mobile access
- Version history
- Group-based access
- Coming soon: Third-party-app integration.
Storage of regulated information
The Information Security Office has approved the use of the University's Box.com installation for storage of HIPAA and FERPA data, in accordance with relevant privacy laws and subject to appropriate usage as outlined in the University's Box Acceptable Use Policy (PDF).
The following videos from the Box User Video Tutorial Library are highly recommended:
- 5 Skills to Get Started Fast (4m 32s)
- Files and Uploading (3m 41s)
- Creating Folders and Workspaces (4m 06s)
- Inviting Collaborators (3m 17s)
- Enhancing Collaboration with Social Workflow Tools (2m 57s)
- Choosing Notifications Settings (1m 58s)
- Finding What You Need (2m 55s)
- Box Edit (1m 33s)
- Box Sync (4m 02s)
- Box for iPad (2m 10s)
- Box for iPhone (2m 19s)
- Box for Android (5m 25s)
- 5 Ways to Use a Box Note (4m 23s)
Free Online Courses
Note: You will need to sign into Box before accessing these courses.
The following free Box online courses are most highly recommended:
- Box User Essentials
- Box Basics 1: Sharing Made Easy (and Secure!)
- Box Basics 2: Communicating and Editing in Box
- Box Basics 3: Organizing Your Box Folders
* Verify with Information Security Office https://it.utah.edu/security/